Re: greasable ujoints

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: greasable ujoints
From: Peter_Lee@STICKY.MESS.CS.CMU.EDU
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 93 16:44:42 -0400
Does anyone out there know anything about the "6-PACK" TR6 organization?
At the Pittsburgh British Car show last month, I was given a copy of the
6-PACK newletter, which was devoted entirely to TR6's.  Anyway, the
newsletter was pretty informative, and membership is advertized for $15
(send mail to Kerry Fores, 1012 W. 9th Ave, Oshkosh WI 54901).  Note that I
am not a member (yet), and have no interest in the club beyond my curiosity
and ownership of a '73 TR6.

The reason I bring this up is that in the January, 1993 issue that I have,
there is an article by Brice Smith entitled "In Search of a Better
U-Joint".  Here is the article, reprinted without the author's or 6-PACK's
permission:

------------

After hearing Len [the 6-PACK technical editor] grouse about Quinton-Hazell
universal joints and even more inferior Japanese replacements, I set out on
a Quest.  Here's what I found:

  Spicer makes a beautiful driveshaft U-joint, part number 5-4X.  A very
  stout yoke with a grease fitting tipped out of the plane yoke ---
  accessible!
--^^^^^^^^^^

  Neapco makes the half-shaft U-joint, part number 1-0055 (you'll need
  four).

  [Tech editor's note: The stock U-joints are all the same so both of the
joints above _should_ fit the axles and driveshaft, but could vary in
design enough to make them suitable for only one of the two uses.]

Both are _American_ companies and their products are noted for longevity.
If you buy a U-joint that says "Make in America" it was make by either
Spicer or Neapco.  If their name is not on the box, the part is a "second",
i.t., substandard (so I'm told by a reliable source).  "Apex" U-joints may
be an exception.  Expect to pay about $25 each for the Spicer/Neapco
U-joints.  Price is justified if you've ever done this job!

By the way, if you continually shuck driveshaft U-joints, and you haven't
jacked the horsepower out of sight, consider having the driveshaft balanced
(or checked for balance).  Any 4WD/off-road establishment should be able to
do this for $25-$40.  Mine was perfect, therefore I blame Quinton-Hazell.