Why did I get back into this?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Why did I get back into this?
From: "TOM WAGNER, Wizzard of old Audio/Visual Equipment........Nanaimo
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1993 08:06:32 PST
Now I know why I got out of restoring LBC's.  I forgot about all the fun of
getting your new find home.

Saturday dawned triumphant (sorry not the car), the rain had let up.  Time to
go and get the Austin Cambridge "parts car".  I borrowed the car trailer from
the college where I work and set off with stepson to get the beast.

Quick check of the unit revealed not only did it have 4 wheels, but there was
even air in all the tires.  We should be out of here in no time!  Nothing drag-
ging on the ground, time to chain her up and get it to the road.

Didn't even have a trouble getting it rolling, came right out of the pile of
weeds that had grown up around it.  All the way to the road, and BANG...

Looked in the rear view of the truck and there was a wheel heading off down the
road!  I knew then there was a reason it only had 3 hubcaps.  Someone had taken
the bearings out of the right front wheel (after all it is a parts car).  There
it sat, nose into the pavement on the backing plate.

Well, it took a while to load up.  Seems we had to keep jacking it up, try to
get the wheel aligned on the splines (no bearings so it was a slight bit
wobbly), and drag it back a foot or two onto the trailer.  Took 2 hours to do
but eventually it was loaded.  Didn't figure we'd have to work that hard so we
really needed a beer after that  one.

Unloading was real easy, we stuffed the wheel back on, gave it a push and hoped
the front wheels would clear the ramp before the wheel came off again (it did)
but they cleared the ramp.  Stuck the truck in gear and drove the trailer out
from under the rest.

At least the other car runs (no brakes though).  We shouldn't have too much
trouble here should we ;-)

If the rain holds off, we'll try the main beast today.  It should be interesting
to say the least.

73, Tom
(btw, for those who aren't "Ham Radio Operators", 73 is a salutation much like
"have a good day" and "end of message")