Audacity

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Audacity
From: Timothy Collins <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1993 12:44:31 -0400
I just received a magazine today titled "Audacity", The Magazine of Business
Experience.  "Audacity's premise is that "business history yields the best
evidence for evaluating current policy..."  The cover theme is; "Re-
engineered TO DEATH, The story of the British Sports Car."  Page 17 carries a
story titled; "Defeating the Triumph, the decline of the British Sports Car
Empire."  Here are a few lines from the article. First a by-line:

"How the English automotive industry lucked into a lucrative U.S. franchise
without knowing why, and then threw it away."

Some picture captions:

"An interior view of MG's famous and very imperfectly mechanized Abingdon
factory in the early 1960's."

Picture of a Triumph Stag: "The hapless Triumph Stag was a misguided attempt to
update the look."

Picture of a TR7: "British Leyland's disastrous TR7, inset. The car's weird
geometric design is emphasized in an advertisement by a head-on shot inscribed
within a diamond. The TR7, build to replace all other British sports cars,
wiped out the industry instead."

Well, there's a lot in this article for a SOL'er to chew on.  The author's
viewpoint seems clear. Look at his choice of words, imperfectly, misguided,
hapless, & weird.

This magazine is a Forbes Inc. publication. It came to me as a complimentary
copy made possible by International Paper.  I don't know where you might be
able to obtain a copy.

The author is Timothy R. Whisler, a assistant professor of history at St.
Francis College in Loretto, PA. The article says, "His 1971 MG Midget is in
the shop for repair."

Does anyone know if St. Francis College is connected to the Internet?
Tim Collins, Director                       Say ya to da U.P. eh?
School of Technology
Michigan Technological University
Houghton, MI 49931