flywheels and bolts

To: xgg2356@dcmdc.dla.mil (James Fuerstenberg)
Subject: flywheels and bolts
From: paisley@central.bldrdoc.gov (Scott W. Paisley 303-497-7691)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 93 09:21:24 MDT
James Fuerstenberg writes:

 > method) but am wondering whether a little never-seize on the crank
 > would be a good idea...any ideas out there?  I wouldn't think the
 > flywheel would loosen up, we do torque it to 150ft lbs.

As hard as it came off, I would use some anti-seize there, making sure
not to get any in the bolt holes on the crank.  Then I would use
lock-tite on the flywheel bolts to make sure that sucker is really
secure.  That should give you the best of both worlds.  A flywheel
that won't fly off, but removable if need be.

I always use lock-tite on my flywheel bolts on the TR6.  There are
only four of them, and I really don't want to find out how much damage
a 25 lb flywheel spinning at 3000 rpm would do to my aluminium
transmission case.  Mainly because my leg is very close to all of
that.

Good luck!

-Scotty