weber vs. SU

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: weber vs. SU
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdbc.vid.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 93 14:36:59 PDT
Kendall asked about replacing the SU on an MG with a down draught
Weber............................

Well, I think I can respond to this as I have had lots of LBCs, and
at the moment three of them have Webers. I also have several that
have SU or Strombergs. So here goes:

Don't waste your time and money on Webers unless you are making
Major other changes to your engine. SUs are very good carbs and
more then up to dealing with a mildly souped up engine. It will
take much time and lots of carb brass to MAYBE get Webers to work ok,
and after all that you may not find any performance improvement.

My daughter had two Volvos. one was a sedan with a 1600 cc engine and
two SUs, the other was a P1800 sportscar with a down draft 2 throat
Weber on a 2000cc engine. The Sedan always out performed the sportscar.
(BTW this P1800 was built in Great Britain as most of them were)

To properly rejet the side draft Webers in my gt6s you need

        6 ea    idlejets
        6 ea    main fuel jets
        6 ea    emulsion tubes
        6 ea    main air jets
        3 ea    float valves
        6 ea    venturis
        assorted accelerator pump parts and bleed valves
        6       buckets of time
        6       experts
        6       things I'm forgetting

.... FOR EACH COMBINATION OF JETS YOU DECIDE TO EVALUATE.

I wouldn't waste your time and money on Webers unless you are making
Major other changes to your engine. SUs are very good carbs and
more then up to dealing with a moderatly souped up engine. It will
take much time and lots of carb brass to MAYBE get Webers to work ok,
and after all that you may not find any performance improvement.

good luck which ever way you go      8^)

dickn