My MGB!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: My MGB!
From: marty gladman <glad0590@mach1.wlu.ca>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1993 19:54:59 -0300 (EDT)

        Hello, this is my first posting so I have a fair amount of questions.
I have a '77 MGB that I have owned for two years.  I bought it in drivable
condition (certified) with 170 000 miles.  Since then I have done quite a
bit of work.
        1-  I have converted to dual 1 1/2 su carbs off an old 65.  I like
the set up so far, but, there are two pollution lines in the intake.  The
PCV valve and another lead just below it.  What should I connect to this?
And Does anyone know any new specs for setting the timing and dwell angle
since the vacume advance now comes off the right carb.?  What do most
people do with the breather/overflow valves on the gas canisters?
        2-  The car seems to backfire when it is warm.  I am planning to
install an oil cooler next season, in hopes to keep engine temperature
down.  Is it possible that the heat of the oil sends too much vapour
through the PCV valve, thus funny running at high temp.?
        3-  I would like to run dual exuast off of the down pipe to the
sides of the car.  The distance will be a foot and a half longer on one
side.  Will the increase performance or screw up back pressure?
        4-  I had my starter rebuilt, and the drive melted right into the
bushing.  I had the place fix it under warrenty but it seems to be
happening again, though I haven't had the energy to take the starter out
again and check for sure.  Could I be putting it in wrong, or sould I be
raising @!#$! with the guys who rebuilt it?
        5-  Lastly(for now), any thought on allison electronic ignitions?

                        Thank you
                                        Marty Gladman