Six Pack TRials, Hampton, NH

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Six Pack TRials, Hampton, NH
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: 04 Oct 1993 10:10:44 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

I spent some time (all day from 8 AM to after 11 PM) with the Six Pack folks up
in Hampton, NH on Saturday.

There was a participant's car show Sat. morning. There were probably 30 cars
there. I met fellow SOLer, Tim Dziechowski at the car show, Hi Tim.

My wife and I and another couple were the rallye masters for a 32.8 mile
gimmick rallye. I was quite surprised that the average time to finish a short
rallye of 32/33 miles would be... over three hours? We had guessed 2.5 or so,
but over three? At any rate, those that finished seemed to sincerely enjoy
themselves. During the rallye, we decided to drive over to one of the rallye
stops, to get some pictures of the rallyists trying to figure out one of
the clues. Tim D. in his '79 MG Miget, a TR3B (owned by Bob and Bess Thorpe), a
TR6 driven by a new owner (has had the car 2 months, and never had a TR before)
and my wife and I all headed out for a mini tour. It was quite fun winding
through the backroads of Hampton, Rye, Statham and Greenland, NH with a little
mini-caravan. We eventually found some rallyists (we were hoping that they
weren't all LOST!) after about 40 minutes. Out of sixteen cars, about 10
completed the course. The winning scores were around 108 of a possible 125,
not bad.

We also attended the banquet. Nice sit-down meal. The awards were very
entertaining, everyone took home at least one prize. The Roadster Factory's
Dane Henry was in attendance (thanks for bringing all the stuff that I
bought!) too.

Nice bunch of folks. One thing that they seem to stress in the Six Pack is
that they DRIVE their TR's. And drive they do, because there was one fellow
who came up from Missiissippi, and the rest were from MD, OH, PA, NY, NJ, etc.
Round trip to MD is about 900 miles. Also, while they were in New England, they
did other driving things, including a trip to the Mount Washington area.

Bye for now,
rml
Bob Lang
MIT Computer Services