Hunting for a Healey

To: british-cars%autox.team.net@hoosier
Subject: Hunting for a Healey
From: peters@thor.li.Cubic.COM
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1993 11:35:28 EDT
Last weekend I checked out an add in Hemmings from a guy who had two
Healeys for sale.  The description and price went something like this:

        1959 100-6 - original paint, no rust    $12,500
        1965 3000 - new interior, no rust       $15,500

The owner died about a week ago and his family is trying to sell both cars.
His son-in-law is handling the deal and claims to know very little about
the cars.  He said that both cars had been running less than a year ago
before the owner got sick.

The '59 did appear to have the original paint, but my refrigerator magnet
refused to stick to the rocker pannels and the front dog leg panels.  Seats
were in good shape and the carpet was new.  The floor appeared to be in good
shape.  The condition of the engine is unkown.  The son in law said that the
battery was completely dead.  The registration sticker on the windshield
was from 1978.

Other items:

        Wheels - disk type (not wires).  To me, a Healey just doesn't
                look right without wire wheels
        Bias ply tires
        Factory hard top - the head lining was coming loose in one corner.
        Crankcase had oil in it but the oil was totally black.
        Soft top and side curtains - missing.

The '65 had about 1/8" of bondo or something on the left front wing and
on the hood.  It was coming off big flakes.  The bottom of the car looked
reasonable.  Engine oil looked the same as the '59.  There was no
registration sticker on the windshield.  The interior had been completely
redone: new carpets and the walnut dash board.  It looked like he had
had the guages rebuilt and cleaned.

Looking under the hoods of both cars I don't believe either has been run
recently.  If the owner had cared at all about the engines, he would
have had clean oil in them.

The family wants to sell both cars quickly - best offer within the next
two weeks.  The original owner had placed the add in Hemmings and the
son-in-law was ready to admit that the advertised prices were too high.

Any feelings about what these two cars are worth?

Peter Schauss                           email: schauss@cubic.com

                                        1980 MGB - daily driver