Lucas Tripod headlamps

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lucas Tripod headlamps
From: <amace%sedofis%sed.bitnet@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 93 12:03:11 EST
Just to add my two pence worth to the Tripod discussion: George Haynes is
correct in saying that there are at least two versions of Tripod headlamps.
Some
notable differences between the two: the PL700 has more of a shield- shaped
emblem in the middle, with PL on it. This version uses what I believe is called
a "type A" bulb, a rather largish bulb with a familiar three-
prong plug built in to the base. The P700 (at least that's what I've always
called it) has a round emblem in the middle with the LUCAS on it. This lamp,
the
one you see in many photographs of early 1960s British cars in the
various books, uses the same bulb as the more mundane bulb and reflector Lucas
headlamps used in the home market and other parts of the world. This bulb is
held in by a bayonet-fixing-type socket, usually wired in to the headlamp unit
harness. There was an adaptor available from Lucas years ago, comprising the
same sort of bayonet fixing with a three-prong plug built in, enabling one to
use these headlamps without rewiring the headlamp base. I don't know if such an
adaptor is still available, nor at this point do I have any part numbers
readily
at hand.

As I recall, the Moss reproductions were of the P700 style, but without the
word
LUCAS on the round shield. TRF had new Lucas repros that I saw several years
ago; I don't remember which version they were. They seemed to be of actually a
bit better quality than the originals; a lot of later (1970s) P700s that I saw
had very haphazardly assembled tripods, not at all equally spaced. I can also
attest to the fact that the PL700s were much better than sealed beam units, but
not as good as halogens, and to the fact that, if left to the elements
year-roun
, especially here in upstate NY, the
reflectors would eventually rust out. Maybe the repros are better in this
respect.

By the way, as proud posessor of a copy of the much-sought Lucas 400E Master
Catalog (which has NOT yet rusted out), I would be willing to research Lucas
part numbers for anyone stumped by same. The catalog covers roughly 1948-60 and
is fascinating reading/viewing for anyone excessively caught up in LBC lore as
am. Through this catalog, for example, I was able to determine that a pair of
Lucas bulb and reflector headlamps I got from a friend were originally part of
free-standing chrome headlamp unit from, I think, a Healey Silverstone or some
such car! So, if you need original part numbers for your Vauxhall Cresta
taillight lens, or whatever, pass the part number along to me and I'll see what
I can find out.

  -- Andy <*5.20 x 13 Gold Seals: are they still the hot ticket?*> Mace
     Herald/Vitesse Consultant, VTR
      and               all-'round               LBC                packrat