more bad ground stories

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: more bad ground stories
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 93 10:34:40 PDT
     The 100-6 my brother had had an intermittent starring
     problem in that soemtimes it would crank over fine &
     other times not. Completely unrelated we'd had the hood
     off when one night I went to start it & noticed some
     nice sparks right over the carburettors. Upon closer
     inspection I noticed that the carb linkage was *hot*.
     It took us a little while to figure out, but what was
     happening was the ground strap was missing between the
     engine & chassis, so the next best return path for the
     starting circuit was through the carb linkage to the
     firewall ! We hooked up the jumper cables from the
     ground side of the battery to the engine block and she
     started right up - no sparks. I drove straight to
     Grand Auto & bought a big generic ground cable. Never
     had another starting problem with that car. Now, about
     the wheels falling off .....

               cheers-
                      daren