Crank Pully Nuts: the EASY way off

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Crank Pully Nuts: the EASY way off
From: Dennis <IEDXW@asuvm.inre.asu.edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1993 17:29:45 -0700 (MST)
For the last time this is the easy way to get the crank pulley nuts off.
Use an air impact driver, it will take about .5 of a second for it to come off.
If you don't have room in the engine bay, you will need to remove the engine.

I tried for several days to remove one from a 1500 Midget.  I used WD 40, heat
lots of sworking etc.  I had  an 8 foot long 2x4 wedged between the crank
and block side (I had a friend stand on it) and used a 2 foot long torque
wrench to try and get the thing off.  All I managed was to break the torque
wrench!!  I went over the road to my neighbour (who has every tool under the
sun) to borrow a long socket wrench to replace the broken torque wrench.
he told me to bring the motor over to his garage.  So I put it on the cart.
          He got out his air impact driver, did not even brace the crank
and whizz off it came in about 2 seconds!!  So take it to your local tire
shop and I'm sure they will use their wrench for free if you don't have
the compressor.

GGood luck.

Dennis