Disc Brake Linintgeing

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Disc Brake Linintgeing
From: clay@tmn.com (Clay Robinson)
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 93 15:13:41 EDT
MESSAGE from =crobinso@sesky4102b.pl.osd.mil      08-OCT-93 15:04
From: Clay Robinson <crobinso@sesky4102b.pl.osd.mil>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 93 18:26:57 EDT

From: crobinso
Full-Name: Clay Robinson@program support
Subject: Disc Pad Lining
To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Cc: clay@tmn.com
Bcc: crobinso

I have a 1961 Daimler SP-250.  The car has 4 wheel disc brakes.  The
parking brake has never worked.  I even used a large roll of paper towels
at a British Car Show once to hold the car on a hill.  Luckily no one seemed
to notice the paper towels as a brake (yea).

    Although most parts are available, (tears in my beer) the
handbrake disc brake pads are not available.  I once read somewhere that the
pads were the same as an Aston Martin DB4GT but I don't access to one of those
fine autos.  I have the metal pads but,
there is no lining at all on three of the pads.  One pad has most of the
lining but it looks like it would fall off if much pressure was applied.

                    |<-2.5cm>|
                    _________
                    |         \
                  ^ |     opin \
                  | |           \
                  4 |            \
                  | |     Oscrew  \

    QUESTION:  Since there were no rivets holding the lining to the pad,
what do I do?  I have the impression that the old re-lining shops used not
only epoxy but also rivets.  Is this a simple job of finding an old-time
shop with 1/4" or so asbestos (cough) (cough) and having them glue on?

S. Clay Robinson
Springfield VA

clay@tmn.com             or     crobinso@sesky4102b.pl.osd.mil