Re: Disc Brake Linintgeing

To: clay@tmn.com
Subject: Re: Disc Brake Linintgeing
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 93 13:03:04 pdt
>Date: Fri, 8 Oct 93 15:13:41 EDT
>From: clay@tmn.com (Clay Robinson)
>Subject: Disc Pad Lining
>To: british-cars@autox.team.net
>
>I have a 1961 Daimler SP-250.  The car has 4 wheel disc brakes.  The
>
>    Although most parts are available, (tears in my beer) the handbrake
>disc brake pads are not available.  I once read somewhere that the pads
>were the same as an Aston Martin DB4GT but I don't access to one of
>those fine autos.  I have the metal pads but, there is no lining at all
>on three of the pads.  One pad has most of the lining but it looks like
>it would fall off if much pressure was applied.
>
>                    |<-2.5cm>|
>                    _________
>                    |         \
>                  ^ |     opin \
>                  | |           \
>                  4 |            \
>                  | |     Oscrew  \
>                  | |             |
>                    | <--4cm----->|
>                    |_____________|
>

>    QUESTION:  Since there were no rivets holding the lining to the pad,
>what do I do?  I have the impression that the old re-lining shops used not
>only epoxy but also rivets.  Is this a simple job of finding an old-time
>shop with 1/4" or so asbestos (cough) (cough) and having them glue on?

This looks suspiciously like the pads for my snake's handbrake.  I don't
have the dimensions handy but yours look about right.  I had new linings
bonded to my pad bases in the late '60s.  Normally they are only used
after stopped the car and should last forever.  But of course I drove
with the handbrake on and wore mine out.

The linings I ended up with were generic and of a constant thickness so
I had to do some filing to get the "correct" wedge shape.  I'm sure mine
contained asbestos but I suspect that wouldn't be the case if I had it
done today.  That shouldn't be a problem since these pads rarely if ever
contact moving disks, so disk wear shouldn't be an issue.  You can be
sure I double check the handbrake before driving off these days.

BTW, if your pads are the same as mine they are available.  Motorsports
International list them in their catalog for (please sit down!)  $89.95
each.  You'll need four.  Even if they are not the same pads, MI may
still have them.  They do sell stuff for other cars.  Their number is:
(619) 440-6205;  FAX: (619) 440-3000;  Address: 454 Goulburn Court,
El Cajon, CA 92929.

Here's some info on my rear brakes:

     Rear calipers, Girling type 12/3HP, P/N 64032764/5 EX
      numbers on castings: left r  64326218 (large piston half)
                                  DA20681 (or 91?)

                                   64328222 (small dual half)
                                  DA20689
                            rgt r  64326219 (large half)
                                   DA20692
                                    64326223 (small dual half)
                                   DA20690

           1/8" spacer between caliper halves?
       bolt mounting centers ~2.23", ~.48" holes
           large piston: 1.685" dia, 1.14" high, .18" wall thickness
       seal for above- a=~.138", b=~.145"
       dust boots for above
       small pistons (two): 1.190" dia, 1.14" high, .18" wall thickness
       seals for above: a=~.136", b=~.123"
       dust boot for above: hole centers ~1.5"

     Caliper comment: combined area of 2 small pistons=area of large piston

Roland