Head seepage

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Head seepage
From: amc@berlioz.nsc.com (Andy McLean)
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 93 10:38:34 PDT
No I don't mean that my brains are evacuating my head....just that my MGB ('78)
has developed a rather nasty water leak from the head gasket area.  At the same
time i've noticed that the car is running rather rough so I suspect that some of
the fluid is escaping into the cylinders as well as onto my garage floor.
Anyway, I intend pulling the head over the w/e but I need some net wisdom to
help put it back together.  Is it common practise to use some gasket sealer to
ensure a good joint - if so, any recommendations for a good brand ?
Also any hints/tips on anything else I should do whilst the head is off ?
This car is my daily driver so I don't feel inclined to do a complete valve job
unless it looks absolutely necessary, but any other advice gratefully received.

Ta,
   Andy McLean (amc@berlioz.nsc.com)