Movie Cars and shocks

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Movie Cars and shocks
From: dgilbert@reed.edu (Dan Gilbert)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 93 10:34 PDT
Thanks  to those who set me straight on the Elvis/MGA chronicles.  I did end up

watching all of the Elvis racing movies over the last week and some (quizzical
looks at the local Blockbuster) and, well, the cars were neat anyhow.   Another
one
that I have seen with an LBC, and again I hope this wasn't mentioned, was _The
Blues Brothers_ with Twiggy driving some late XKE V-12 DHC to the gas station
that Jake and Elwood were at waiting for gas and Elwood charges her $94 for gas

which she thinks nothing about.

Regarding shock conversions for LBC's from Moss (the Monroe set), I find that
the
conversion was $200 well spent.  (If they're not $200 from Moss, NW Import
Parts
has the 4 corner set for $200)  I enjoy the crisper handling, although the
optional
Koni shocks (extra $75-$100 per _wheel_) would be best for anyone serious about

handling.  I put the conversions on my MGB with about 2 days of moderate
sworking and it would have been less if the bolt that held one of the leaf
springs
was not rusted solid to the inside of the spring (lots of  cursing edited).
The
instructions are clear, save for one or two torque setting which seem to be
omitted
from the instructions and the (P)Hanynes manual.   It would be ideal to rebuild
as
much of the suspension as you could afford while doing this conversion as it
involves having most of the front supension and some of the rear apart (read:
those annoying-to-remove-and-replace-using-a-jack-as-told-in-the-
aforementioned-manual coil springs).  The first installation took usually about

three hours, the second of each set somewhere between a half hour and
forty-five
minutes.

Until later and the paths cross like the wiring in my car,
Dan Gilbert                     dgilbert@reed.edu       "Harriet" 1969 MGB Conv.