Me and my Midget

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Me and my Midget
From: HAGBERG@CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1993 01:25:30 -0700 (MST)
Hi all,
        I just wanted to give a little background info,now that I've
been lurking for a week or so and seeing how things are done here.
I'm the proud owner of a '76 MG midget (GAN6UG176700), owned by myself
for 7 years.  I've done a complete engine rebuild, had the body
reworked and repainted Jag Racing Green, and re-did much of the trim in
gold and black (for that "trick" look).  Just last summer I finished a
complete rewire of the car after that last-straw meltdown.  The car is
now smoke-free in the wires -- it's a GM fuse-block-based street rod
wiring harness, with enough mods by myself to fit the factory lights
etc.  I stripped all the switches off the dash, made a new dash out of
black walnut (varnished with about 30 coats) that looks absolutely
gorgeous.  Also I veneered and faceplated the radio console with black
walnut so it looks like it's all wood now too.  All the switches
including the ignition have been moved to where the radio would be,
and all the switches are now sealed marine rocker switches.  It looks,
and works, really well.  So I think I have exorcised most of the
"Spirit of Lucas" from this car.
        Next on my list is a suspension rebuild (many thanks for the
postings on JC Whitney's shock kit), possibly a carb swap, headers,
and a Monza exhaust.
        I hope I'm not cast to the wolves for not being a British
"purist" but I really wanted to turn this into a very custom, reliable
car that will keep me grinning until I can't push the pedals anymore
(for age or gov't intervention).  Oh, yeah, I for got to mention that
all the emmissions additives have been carefully removed from the
engine, which wasn't really a concern in Maine, but may be a concern
down here in AZ where they weem to test emmissions more thoroughly.
        Thanks for your time if you've read this far.  It's great that
we fellow brit car owners have a forum we can call our own.

                        -=- D. J.
                        -=- hagberg@ccit.arizona.edu