Re: TR4 Carbs - cost???

To: paulb@taronga.com (Paul Christian Bick)
Subject: Re: TR4 Carbs - cost???
From: jerry@tr2.com
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 08:23:05 +0000 (GMT)
> I have a 1964 TR4 with one defunct
> carb.  There is a local yard here in Houston where I can get a Stromberg
> repalcement for $100.  Is that a reasonable proce.  Please don't tell me
> about Webers or other conversions ...

*** Paul,

   There's no need to change to Webers or anything like that.  The
early Strombergs are a fine carb.  I have a pair in the Clankster
( my tr2 ).  $100 doesn't sound too bad for a working carb, I wouldn't
expect to find one much cheaper.  But exactly what's wrong with
the existing carb?  They are quite rebuildable.  The most common
problem is a split diaphragm, which should cost five bucks or so.
Then you might have a worn throttle shaft bearing which is a bit harder.
On mine, the shafts bearings were worn, but so were the shafts themselves.
In my case, new unworn shafts brought the clearances within reason.

  One problem with the Strombergs is that there just aren't as many
parts available for them as for SUs.  You can get all the standard
stuff, but you can forget about messing around with nonstandard
needles.  Nor can you get oversized throttle shafts.  If your throttle
bearings are too far gone for standard-size shafts, then you may have
to bite the bullet and spend the $100.  To test, unscrew the existing
throttle plate, and pull the shaft out to where an unworn portion is
in the bearing.  Then wiggle.  You should only be able to wiggle it
a teeny tiny bit.  For some reason, the shaft itself usually seems
to wear more than the throttle body.

  If my parts info is outdated, and oversize throttle shafts *are*
available, then you have an out even if the bearings are worn out.
You can ream out the carb body to accept the oversized shaft with
an adjustable reamer.  Now, the reamer itself is pretty expensive,
but a local british-car shop just might have one.  There was a
place here ( the SF bay area ) that did it for me for about $20
per carb.  The neat thing about the adjustable reamer is that you
do both holes in one operation, so alignment is guaranteed.

--
* Jerry Kaidor       jerry@tr2.com, jkaidor@synoptics.com     *
*                    KF6VB                                    *