Re: TR4 Carbs - cost???

To: jerry@tr2.com, paulb@taronga.com
Subject: Re: TR4 Carbs - cost???
From: sbender@dsd.es.com (Steve Bender)
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 93 10:53:32 MDT
>From the original poster ?:
> > I have a 1964 TR4 with one defunct
> > carb.  There is a local yard here in Houston where I can get a Stromberg
> > repalcement for $100.  Is that a reasonable proce.  Please don't tell me
> > about Webers or other conversions ...

Evidently a few TR4's were equipped with ZS 175CD's as opposed to the more
usual SU H6.  Most TR4A's I've seen were equipped with ZS 175CD's but some
came with SU HS6's from the factory.

>From Jerry Kaidor:
>    There's no need to change to Webers or anything like that.  The
> early Strombergs are a fine carb.  I have a pair in the Clankster

I agree with Jerry.  I've had good experience with the ZS's equipped
on my TR4A (after rebuilding them that is).

>   If my parts info is outdated, and oversize throttle shafts *are*
> available, then you have an out even if the bearings are worn out.
> You can ream out the carb body to accept the oversized shaft with
> an adjustable reamer.  Now, the reamer itself is pretty expensive,
> but a local british-car shop just might have one.  There was a
> place here ( the SF bay area ) that did it for me for about $20
> per carb.  The neat thing about the adjustable reamer is that you
> do both holes in one operation, so alignment is guaranteed.

When I rebuilt mine (circa 4-years ago) oversize shafts were available.
Rather than repairing mine the "correct" way I gambled on a kludge that
seems to have worked... I just used the old shafts and some valve-grinding
compound until I was pleased with the fit of the oversized shafts (.005
over I believe).  It has worked nicely now for about 14,000 miles, but
ultimately I am sure I will have to have the bodies re-bushed.

-Steve-