Re: Answers to trivia

To: Douglas.W.Phillips@williams.edu (Doug Phillips)
Subject: Re: Answers to trivia
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 13:47:06 -0500 (CDT)
I didn't think we were supposed to post the answers, but I guess we
are here now.

Doug Phillips writes >

> 1. BSW stands for/ BRITISH STANDARD WENTWORTH

That's BRITISH STANDARD WHITWORTH, which is the obsolete coarse screw
thread.  The other is of course BSF for BRITISH STANDARD FINE

> 4. What is a "Dumpy Screwdriver"?/ A SHORT SCREW DRIVER

A "Stubby" in the USA?

> 7. British for seatback/ SQUAB

I thought the squab was the bottom cushion of the seat.

> 8. British for hood/ BONNET

Right.  And a British HOOD is an American convertible top.
Since the engine is in the middle of my Lotus, I call them front and rear
decklids or everybody gets confused.

> 12. British choke/ STRANGLER

News to me.  The knobs in my Midget were B for bonnet and C for choke.  I
have always seen choke in manuals.

> 13. What is a "knave key"?/ TYPE OF WHEEL WRENCH

What type?

> 14. MPH in England/ KPH (NOW - WAS MPH EARLIER)

Bad question. In Enland and America, we know that a Mile and Kilometer are
not the same.   Better question:  What is British for 100 MPH?  I'm
surprised they don't call it "making a century", but I nothing about
cricket, either.

> 16. British driveshaft/PROPELLER

PROPELLER SHAFT, I believe.

> 22. What is a crownwheel?/ A LARGE GEAR DRIVEN BY A SMALLER GEAR
>(DIFFERENTIAL)

Ring gear in USA, as in "ring and pinion".

> 23. A.C. in AC Cobra/ AUTO CARRIER

Thanks.  Never heard this before.  Is it right, Roland?

> 24. What is a "chubby box"?/ GLOVE BOX

'Nother new one on me.

> 25. D.B. in Austin Martin/ DAVID BROWN

As in DAVID BROWN tractors.