More ZS's vs SU's!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: More ZS's vs SU's!
From: paul gilders rs <paulg@mansun.lut.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 93 09:28:12 BST
Hello folks,

        Well I have some more queries about ZSs vs SUs. I phoned up
Special Tuning in Richmond (Surrey, not Virginia - I think this is the
same place as "Triumph Tune"). Anyway, I was calling about getting
some new throttle shafts for my ZS carbs on my TR6 - my current ones
are severely worn and I was planning to rebush them during my
restoration class at the local college. So of course I have to firstly
explain that I have a US TR6 with the ZS carbs, to which the guy is
quick to interrupt:

"Oh, ya don't want them mate. What you need to do is put on is some 1
3/4 inch SU's. Them ZSs were only made for emissions. You can never
get them to run right. You'll get an extra 10-20 bhp out of SUs."

Well I'm kind of taken aback by his forthright attitude, almost
forgetting what I'd phoned about. I eventually come to my senses and
make some sensible comparison of the relative cost of rebushing ZSs
(about 15 pounds) and getting some SUs and it's associated conversion
problems - he quoted me 190 pounds for a pair of SUs. Anyway, for the
moment I will be getting my ZSs sorted out. I find it hard to believe
that the ZSs really are as bad as the guy said and he's obviously out
to make an extra 200 pounds, but I am interested in the possibility of
the conversion. If my memory serves me correct, my Dad has twin SUs in
his Triumph 2000 (same 6 cylinder block), and I have to say I think it
runs much better than my TR6 (neglecting many other essential
factors....). However, if I manage to find some secondhand SU's from a
battered Triumph 2000/2500, would this conversion be an easy thing to
do? Would I need a new manifold and what would I do with all the
emissions stuff? Would I be able to closely follow the setup of my
Dad's Triumph 2000 or the TR4? Anyway, if anybody has done this
conversion (I doubt it in the US) or has any suggestions or comments,
please let me know. If people think this might be a worthwhile idea, I
shall keep my eyes open for a suitable pair.

Oh, and I did ask about converting to the PI spec as well - the guy
said "oooh - lot of money and that's if you can find a PI unit." So
I think this will be put back as a very long term objective (if ever).

Anyway, I shall have a chat with some local TR6 owners as well, and I
certainly won't go rushing into throwing those ZSs away!

Cheers,

        Paul.