Re: British Cars Digest #967 Thu Oct 14 01:15:01 MDT 1993

To: iainw@bnr.ca (Iain)
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #967 Thu Oct 14 01:15:01 MDT 1993
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1993 09:11:12 -0500 (CDT)
Iain (who speaks to us from the UK via Canada in some convoluted net
connection) writes >

> If what you call the driveshaft is what I call the prop(eller) shaft -
> ie. the shaft going from the gearbox (transmission) to the
> differential. Then what do you call what brits call the driveshafts
> (shaft from differential to wheel)?

Halfshaft, generally, or axle shaft.

They are also called driveshafts on FWD cars.

> Iain "You say tomato I say tomato" Woolf

That joke doesn't work very well in print, eh?

>  Also, MPH (Miles per hour) is MPH is MPH. I know US pints and gallons
> are different to UK, but miles? And KPH (sometimes KMH) is 1Km per
> hour (ie. 1000m per hour). I think I may be missing the point of this
> question.

The point is that it was a stupid question, IMHO.  The type that students
scream at teachers about until it is stricken from the test.