Re: British Trivia

To: pgarside@acorn.co.uk (Paul Garside)
Subject: Re: British Trivia
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1993 09:02:54 -0500 (CDT)
Paul "I don't put jelly on my peanut butter" Garside writes >

> 10. We are more likely to say shock absorber

But we still hear the word damper used and see it in manuals and parts
lists.  Actually seems to be a more accurate word to describe what they
are supposed to do.

> 12. I haven't seen Strangler since my Dad's 1936 Austin Ruby manual

I've never seen it.  I expect that it is dead.  We Yanks do have to be
careful about picking up obsolete stuff.  Mike Causer on the Lotus list
warned me I was starting to sound like Bertie Wooster.

> 16. Usually "Prop shaft" or drive shaft, never propellor shaft

I have seen propeller shaft in very recent manuals, so I don't think you
ought to say never.

> 22. No, not any large gear, but a gear with the teeth on the side, not on the
>top.

Right.  The "ring" in "ring and pinion" in the final drive.

> 24. Never heard of chubby box - glove box

Have you heard "cubby box"?  Interestingly enough, "Glove Box" always had
a British ring to it in the USA.  Before the British cars came around, we
usually said "glove compartment".