Zenith-Stromberg rebuilds

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Zenith-Stromberg rebuilds
From: Vaughan K. Scott <scottv@rpi.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1993 10:46:15 -0400
 I *strongly* recommend rebuilding them.  I have twin (emissions) Z-S's
on my TR7, and they run beautifully.  I rebuilt them when I got the car,
for much less than a set of new carbs.  I also didn't know what the hell I
was doing, but  this did not result in me destroying the carbs or having to buy
more rebuild kits.  Therefore, whether you know anything about carbs or not,
JUST DO IT!  You'll save much money, and learn much about carbs in the process.
If you want, I have a copy of --- correction. I thought I had a copy of the
rebuild procedures (simplified) that I sent to someone some time ago when
they wanted to rebuild their Z-S's but didn't know how to do it.  I can redo
this, however, and even write it up nice and put it on the archive if there's
sufficient interest (and if someone will tell me how to do it).  Shall I?

 One more note:  My TR7 (since I tuned the carbs) starts beautifully
in the coldest weather (around freezing, here).  It has the original (rebuilt)
Strombergs, and the original Lucas "Opus" electronic ignition.  I have only
replaced the cap, wires, and plugs (Bosch Platinum, highly recommended).
All I have to do is give it full choke, and pump the first 1/2" of pedal while
I'm cranking it, and it starts within the first 4 cranks!  Oh, well, enough
gloating... Do you want me to type this in again?

Vaughan Scott           Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
scottv@rpi.edu          Troy, NY

Also, is there someone out there with a tuning procedure for Strombergs, or
do we need that on the archive too?

VS