Six Cylinder Sounds (was Re: Rover V6)

To: pgarside@acorn.co.uk
Subject: Six Cylinder Sounds (was Re: Rover V6)
From: megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 93 10:10:47 PDT
>                  > I was leafing through some Rover literature[...]
>                  > offer an all-aluminum V6.
>
>       > Yee-ha!  They *sell* that motor?  Buy me one, Daddy, please!
>       >This is the motor that powered the short-lived M.G. Metro 6R4 rally
>
> Sorry to disappoint you, but this is more likely to be the Honda 2.7 V6
> Rover use in the  800-Series (827),

As my 2-year-old is fond of saying, "Major poopy."  The motor
I was talking about is *much* more exciting...

On the other hand, if it's the Honda engine found in the Acura NS-X,
it's not far behind the Clubman version of the 6R4 motor.  I seem to
remember from Michael Sands' report of dyno-tuning his "Honda"
that Charlie Rockwell wrung some 282 bhp out of that sleek red beast.
(Michael?  You still around on the list?)

Speaking of six-cylinder motors, I'm currently trying to figure out
what to do with the Imitation GT6's muffler.  I'd love to make that
car sound more British.  I've been dreaming about trying to graft an
exhaust system from a Jag or a Big Healey, both of which have the
desired sound and larger engines than my 2.8L six; I've thought about
the system from a TR6 but I worry that the capacity won't be up to
the slightly larger motor.  And I'd have to graft it on behind the
catalytic converter, of course, leaving only a single pipe; the Jag
and Big Healeys used dual pipes, which might be responsible for that
wonderful sound.

Of course, I *could* just take a broom to the tailpipe...

--Scott "Or poke some holes in the muffler with a finishing nail" Fisher