Re: Progress and Questions on the GT6mk3

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Progress and Questions on the GT6mk3
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: 18 Oct 1993 17:16:09 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

With respect to your comments about the differential.

The "half axles", as you put it, are meant to be pulled apart with a special
hydraulic press. You have succeeded in doing what the majority of inexperienced
Triumph owners also experience. That is: without the proper hydraulic press,
you will ruin the output flange or the mounting flange or both. Also, it takes
a LOT of hydraulic pressure to seperate the parts.

I would be real careful about reusing these pieces after what you just
described. Mostly because the differential will leak, and you will probably
burn a bearing or two later down the road. Not to mention that if you
distorted the drive flanges, you'll probably get a vibration at speed.

Fix it "correctly" now, and you'll never have to worry about it. Find a local
British-car shop and have them rebuild the differential output shafts using
the proper tooling.

Sorry to give you the bad news.

Bob "I've wrecked a Couple of Flanges" Lang
MIT Computer Services