Dings....

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Dings....
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 93 16:26:31 CDT
Grrrrrrr,

I'm sure nobody can help me on the list, but I feel the need to vent some of
my anger concerning insurance companies!!

The idiot who lives downstairs managed to reverse into my poor little MG
(he thought it was a pile of logs stacked under the tarp!!).

He was very amicable about it and called his insurance company (state farm)
etc. He hit the space between the headlight and turn signal and managed
to bend the fender (wing) outwards. I went and got a couple of quotes
and these averaged about $1000 (labor + original new fender).
I called state farm to see what their 'adjuster' came up with. He reckoned
that it would cost $144 to pop out the dent and fill it in!!!!

They base their 'adjuster' estimate on how much the car is worth in its
present state. This is really unfair because when the guy hit it, it still
had the interior and the engine in it. I've since pulled the interior out
and am rebuilding the engine...also the old roof is still on it (torn) and
therefore it did look in a sorry state. The reason I bought this car
was because the bodywork was perfect and all original. I feel like
screaming at them and showing them the $1500 in reciepts which I've spent
on it already in parts, but not yet installed (new roof, engine etc. etc.).

Its pretty wrong that they don't pay for the car to be put back to how it
was before the ding. I could understand it if it was full of bondo
and rust but its not! My insurance company won't help either because
I reduced my insurance to liability when I pulled the engine because
I wouldn't be driving it around.

I didn't dare not insure it just in case some idiot managed to trip over
and crack their head on my car and sue me for a bzillion dollars.

I'm just sick of people trying to rip me off....and this is my Mr. Angry
piece for today!

Marcus