Calipers & low temps !

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Calipers & low temps !
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 93 08:56 EDT
re: Frozen brake calipers:

>I've heard a number of conflicting stories about whether or not it
>is OK to split calipers on this car.  One source claimed they would never
>
>Personally I can't see anyone freeing up stuck caliper pistons WITHOUT
>splitting the caliper in half.  Does anyone have any advice on doing this?

There is an alternative !! I was in the same position last winter when I
decided to overhaul a set of MGB calipers that I had removed from a parts
car. No amount of effort on my part (using Liquid Wrench, pliers, some heat,
would budge any of the pistons in the calipers.

Eventually I let the calipers soak in Liquid Wrench/WD40 for about 2 days.
Then I removed the caliper on my Midget and connected the "frozen" caliper
in its place. With a block of wood inserted into the caliper (where the brake
pads usually reside), I pushed on the brake pedal. I took a couple of tries,
but eventually the pistons did start to move. Then moved enough that I could
removed then with a set of pliers.

I rebuilt the calipers using new pistons and seals and have not had a
problem since.

Ona a different subject :

I have a had a problem on my Midget (1500) for about a year now which only
occurs when the temps drop down to 40F and below. I started to happen again
this weekend when morning temps were about 35F.

The symptoms are :
If it is cold then -> The engine cranks VERY slowly, so slowly in fact that
the car will not start. If I let the car sit and wait for the temperature
to warm up, then the engine cranks as normal and the car starts first time.

If it is warm then -> this sometimes happens on the first crank of the starter,
but after that the starter cranks at normal speed.

I know it is NOT the battery, because I have swapped batteries between 2
cars (and both batteries are less than 1 year old).

The starter is a year old (although I have a spare starter I may substitute
and see what happens).

All battery terminals are clean and tight.

I think I have an INTERNAL problem with the starter, that when it is in a
certain position, I am getting very high resistance though the starter,
causing it to turn slowly.

Another problem could be the engine->chassis strap, I am going to install
an earth strap directly from the battery to the starter as a temporary
measure and see if the solves the problem.

Anybody any ideas ?

There is a Spitfire in a local junk yard, which is going to sent to the
re-cycler soon. Most of the car is stripped - HOWEVER it still has a bonnet
which is in very good condition. The car is located in central NJ. Also
in another junk yard is a GT6 which looked to be okay (I did not take a
close look - so my eyes may have decieved me)

Gerry

To Roger Garnett : are you still looking for a Midget 1500 engine ? I am
picking up a parts car on Thursday, I have no idea what the state of the
engine is like (actually I don't even know if it has an engine !!!!!),
BUT if it has are you interested ?

------