Rebuilding an MG-TC

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Rebuilding an MG-TC
From: decvax!cg-atla.agfa.com!ahrendt@uucp-gw-2.pa.dec.com (Dave Ahrendt)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 93 08:19:23 -0400
        A major case of shipwrights disease has set it.  After breaking
the crankshaft on my '46 MG-TC on the way to the Burlington, VT GOF I
decided on a rebuild.  Of course, since the engine was out, might as well
open up the gearbox, fix the leaky rear half-shaft seals, clean the
chassis, etc. etc.  Then there's that steering box...

        Anyways, I now got myself to the total rebuild stage where
I'm replacing the old body tub with the Moss/UK tub, fix the wings
and strip/repaint.  Since I'm not doing the body work myself (there are
some things I just won't do :) ) I need some wisdom on paint.  The
shop doing the body only uses Dupont Centauri (sp?) and would like
to do it it Acrylic Lacquer which may be the same thing.

        What's the word on good paint?  Is Lacquer the thing to use
for ease of touchup? How about clearcoat, two-part catalyst, etc? I'd
rather not have a paint job that looks too modern,  but is need
something durable.  Do most people do something under the wings to
prevent chipping, beside undercoat which looks bad on a TC?

        Anyone have any good suggestions on a paint code for something
like BRG but a little lighter?  A friend has a TC with a Jaguar BRG
that looks almost black.  I'm trying to find a BRG Miata to look at
but I think that is very dark as well.  Choosing a color is the
hardest part so far.

        Oh well, and I was going to buy a new car this
year.

        Regards, Dave