plain water vs. distilled (more)

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: plain water vs. distilled (more)
From: James TenCate <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1993 10:03:49 -0500
George writes to use clean tap water over distilled...
Others reply:  not a good idea...

I tend to agree with "Others" since clean tap water around here ISN'T.
By the way, here at the lab we get our "distilled" water from an
ion exchange process:  first a millipore filter, then two ion-exchange
beds and what comes out is supposed to be better than distilled.
Wish I knew the chemistry behind what goes on but I'd bet the ion
beds extract out all the loose ions and leave only pure water.
So, I'm actually using deionized water (which I guess is EXACTLY what
you'd like to use).  So you chemists out there, just HOW do the mass
marketers "make" their distilled water?

Sorry to ramble about something I know almost nothing about.  I hope
someone (Lee?) can set us straight once and for all?  Meanwhile, I'm
gonna keep using my distilled (deionized) water :-)

jim