Frame drain holes - SUMMARY

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Frame drain holes - SUMMARY
From: DANIELS@LMSBV2.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels, Texas A&M University)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1993 11:54:07 -0500 (CDT)
A week or so ago I asked about cutting drain holes in my frame that are
"nicer" looking than I get with a cutting torch.

Scott W. Paisley and Chris Kent Kantarjiev mentioned normal drill bits, but
Chris also mentioned that this would leave chips in the frame and won't
make a round hole.

Chris also said:
"The right tool is a hole saw of some variety. For thick metal like a
"frame, I'd reach into my metal removing tools drawer for the
""Rotabroach" kit - looks something like a normal hole saw, except that
"the cutting surface is about 1/8" across, instead of just 18 gauge (bi-) metal.

thogard@wrdis01.robins.af.mil (Cont Tim Hogard) said:
"At your local Walmart you can get a Dremel Moto Tool.  The one I have is the
"rechargeable portable one.  You can get reinforced carbide cutting wheels for
"it that will cut though metal very quickly if you have a steady hand and don't
"force it.  With this and a grinding wheel I can make all kinds of cuts that
"look fine when they're done.  Its a very handy tool to have.

Hey, I didn't think about a Dremel, this sounds good.  But the cutting
torch is so fast, here's what I'm going to try:  Start the hole with the
torch, but not make it as big as I want it.  Then use the Dremel to clean
up the edges and make it round.  Film at eleven.

Lee M. Daniels - Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding - Texas A&M
   daniels@lmsbvx.tamu.edu  |  DANIELS@TAMLMSB.BITNET  |  (409) 845-3726