Leaky Gas Tank

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Leaky Gas Tank
From: toms@stones.sharebase.com (Tom Sabo)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 93 10:10:53 PDT
When my gas tank began leaking, instead of removing it, I fixed it in the
following manner:
1) drain tank
2) externally brush on some of the gas tank sealer that is sold to be
        poured into the tank.
3) place a patch of fiberglass mat over the crack/hole
4) Repeat steps 2 & 3
5) mix up a few ounces of fiberglass resin & catalyst, then brush it
        on over the patch.  Apply another layer of fiberglass mat.
6) Repeat step 5.
7) Brush on another layer of fiberglass resin.  Sand when dry (if desired).

Notes: each succeeding layer of fiberglass mat was slightly larger than
the previous.  Eg. 2" dia, 3" dia, 4" dia, 6" dia.

The reason for the mat is to provide strength.
The reason for the sealer is that many fiberglass resins will soften
with prolonged exposure to gasoline.
If cosmetics is important, you can repeat step 7 a few times.
Most fiberglass resins must be sanded between layers because
they contain a wax additive that goes to the surface when hardened.