Distilled water and ride hight

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Distilled water and ride hight
From: bishel@lobby.ti.com (Geoff Bishel)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1993 13:34:24 -0500
Let me add my 2 cents worth here...

I think we're confusing de-ionized water and distilled water.  As I'm
involved with the semiconductor industry, where we use oodles of
de-ionized water, I can attest that yes, de-ionized water will promote
destruction of metals.  I'm not sure if it will actually promote
corrosion or not, but I can attest to it leeching iron atoms into the
water - I have knowledge of steel based heat exchangers being ruined
by hot de-ionized water.  The de-ionized water I'm referring to here
is pure H2O down to the parts per billion range - not something you'll
find readily available on your supermarket shelves.

Distilled water on the other hand, while extremely clean compared to
(at least Houston's) tap water, is still probably full of all kinds of
stuff on at least a parts per million basis.  But at least it won't be
the stuff that leaves scale inside your cooling system.  I'm voting for
distilled water in cooling systems.

On a completely different subject -
phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier) wrote (several days ago) about his
car sitting higher since he changed shocks. Are the new shocks gas-charged?
Were the old shocks?  The pressurization in gas shocks will raise ride
height somewhat - depending on pressure, and the vehicle's weight.
The pressure acts like an additional spring.

Obligatory LBC content:
Picked up my parts-Midget this past weekend... literally.  I've found
it's not too difficult to wheel a Midget bodyshell + rear axle around
by the front bumper mounts.  We 'wheelbarrow-ed' the shell into the
truck, and back off.  My 2 car garage is now full of MG stuff, and the
neighbors think I'm crazy - gotta love it.

Geoff "Is chiropractic covered by my insurance? " Bishel
bishel@lobby.ti.com