Re: Corrosive antifreeze

To: toms@stones.sharebase.com (Tom Sabo)
Subject: Re: Corrosive antifreeze
From: jerry@tr2.com
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1993 22:33:37 +0000 (GMT)
> system, I have a question.
>
> I know that boats have a lead anode bolted to their hulls so that these
> anodes will corrode before the metal propshafts, propellers, etc. do...
>
> What about throwing a 1 oz. lead fishing weight into the radiator, maybe
> attaching it somehow... anyway... my point is, if boats can use a
> sacrificial anode, why can't cars?

**** Sure they can.  Only the metal to use is zinc, not lead.  JC Whitney
sells a little zinc bobber that you chain to your radiator cap.
  Also, big rigs use water filters with sacrificial elements in them.
A friend of mine once protected his Mustang with one of these.  He put
the sacrificial-element filter in the heater return hose.  There he
figured that any fluid restriction would be relatively harmless.

                              - Jerry

---
* Jerry Kaidor       jerry@tr2.com, jkaidor@synoptics.com     *
*                    KF6VB                                    *