Re; XK120 Brakes

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re; XK120 Brakes
From: scott@psy.uwa.edu.au (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 93 16:19:15 WST
Greetings Jaguarphiles...

I saw this in the brit-car mailing list...if you want to help this guy
email him directly (as well as posting here :-)

>Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1993 13:21:06 -0400
>From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
>Subject: Jag 120 brake mods
>

>       I am working on a friend's XK 120.  He is interested in
>modifying the brakes.  I guess it is common to use the disc brake
>setup from an XK 150.  As far as I know, the 150 has a four wheel
>disc brake system.  Does anybody know what is involved in this
>conversion?  Is it worth changing the rear over to discs?  My
>feeling is to only modify the front.  Would I have to get some
>sort of a biasing (sp?) valve to get the correct front/rear
>braking pressure if I only convert the front?  How about the
>master cylinder - does it have to be changed? Any idea of the
>costs involved?

The simplest thing to do is grab the whole brake system off an XK150
(if you can get it), this will then make worries about biasing moot...
and your life a lot easier.  This approach will mean that you get both
front and rear brakes so your other question is moot also :-)

If you get the 150 system it's basically a bolt-on exercise with perhaps
replacing the hubs and or odd axle.

I have seen this modification done (XK120 to front wheel disk not 4) by
using series III E-Type front brakes however this involved some serious
metal-work and is not reccomended for the faint of heart.  Go for the
XK150 system.

Regards Scott.
Scott Fisher [scott@psy.uwa.oz.au]  PH: Aus [61] Perth (09) Local (380 3272).

Department of Psychology                                    /      \    W + E
University of Western Australia.      Perth [32S, 116E]-->  *_.--._/      S
Nedlands, 6009.  PERTH, W.A.                                      v

Joy is a Jaguar XJ6 with a flat battery, a blown oil seal and an unsympathetic
wife, 9km outside of a small remote town, 3:15am on a cold wet winters morning.