throttle shaft wear

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: throttle shaft wear
From: James TenCate <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1993 23:35:08 -0500
I'm currently rebuilding the carbs (Z-S) on my 74 TR6.  I pulled out
the little rubber seals around the throttle shafts.  The holes into
the carbs look OK but both shafts have worn grooves where the
O ring seals were supposed to be.  The seals had perished long ago.

I've heard that you can use silver solder to fill the grooves and
make the throttle shafts "like new."  I'd guess you'd have to
heat up the shaft with a torch and fill in the groove with the solder
and then fine sand (1200 or better) the excess solder off.  Anyone
actually done this?  How does it work?

L8er,
jim