Repair to Gas Tank

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Repair to Gas Tank
From: "TOM WAGNER, Wizzard of old Audio/Visual Equipment........Nanaimo
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1993 07:48:05 PST
The gas tank on the Midget turnedd to swiss cheese a few years ago.  Holes
popped up over the bottom (probably due to it being used on a lot of gravel
roads).

The repair I did consisted of Puttying the holes with solder.  I used a large
soldering iron the type used by tinsmiths.  It was necessary to protect the
bottom so I plugged all the assorted ports in the tank, added an air valve
and put about 15psi (or enough to expand the tank to simulate a load of fuel)
and did a 3 coat fiberglass resin layup over the entire tank.  It added some
weight to the tank but it hasn't leaked (at least the present owner says) yet.

I felt the air was necessary to give the tank the proper shape when full of
gas.

73, Tom