Survey re: "clunker legislation".

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Survey re: "clunker legislation".
From: DANIELS@LMSBV2.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels, Texas A&M University)
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1993 9:14:52 -0500 (CDT)
Hi, all --- Below you will find an "Automotive Hobby Survey" sponsored by
the Council of Vehicle Associations, typed (by me) approximately as it
appears in the December issue of Classic Auto Restorer (C.A.R.) (page 49).
For all of you non-USA readers, you can punt now, although the idea might
be rippling into other parts of the world, too.  As stated, the purpose is
to gather information to defend the old-car hobby against "destructive
legislation".  You are encouraged to print it out and send it in to the
address given.  The first two sections are not applicable to most of us on
this list; we're mostly the "hobbyist/collectors" of section three.  But
you might want to give a copy to your mechanic/restorer, too.

The issues involved affect all of us on this list; I apologize to you if
you are offended by my using this medium for such a cause.  Anyway, lighten
up!  ;-)

Lee M. Daniels - Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding - Texas A&M
   daniels@lmsbvx.tamu.edu  |  DANIELS@TAMLMSB.BITNET  |  (409) 845-3726

AUTOMOTIVE HOBBY SURVEY
YOUR HELP IS URGENTLY NEEDED.  COVA, the Council of Vehicle Associations,
is sponsoring this survey as part of its effort to defend the old-car hobby
against the destructive legislation now being developed and enacted across
the nation.  The statistics gathered by this survey will help demonstrate
to government officials the size of the constituency involved in the hobby
and the substantial economic force it represents.

Please complete this survey and return it to the Council of Vehicle Asso-
ciations, 10400 Roberts Rd., Palos Hills, IL 60465, or FAX your response
to 708-598-4888.  If you need more copies of this form, or camera-ready art
for your organization's newsletter, please call 800-CARS-166.  All infor-
mation will be kept in strict confidence and used only for the purpose of
presenting statistical industry information to lawmakers.

PROFESSIONAL RESTORERS:  Complete this section if you make your living
restoring automobiles.
1. How many people do you employ (including yourself)?____________________
2. How many customers do you serve annually?______________________________
3. What are your annual sales?____________________________________________
4. How many jobs do you complete per year?________________________________
5. What do you spend annually on equipment, supplies, etc.?_______________
6. What is your market:  ___International  ___National  ___State  ___Local
7. To what vehicle associations, clubs, etc., do you belong?______________

SUPPLIERS/MANUFACTURERS: Complete this section if you supply goods and/or
services to the restoration industry.
1. How many people do you employ (including yourself)?____________________
2. How many customers do you serve annually?______________________________
3. What are your annual sales?____________________________________________
4. Do you export?_________________________________________________________
5. If you export, what percent of your annual sales?______________________
6. What do you spend annually on equipment, supplies, etc?________________
7. To what vehicle associations, clubs, etc., do you belong?______________

HOBBYISTS/COLLECTORS: Complete this section if you are a collectible
vehicle hobbyist/owner.
1. How many collectible vehicles do you currently own?____________________
2. What percentage of the restoration work do you do yourself?____________
3. On average, how much do you spend annually on a project?_______________
4. On average, how many suppliers do you work with annually?______________
5. To what vehicle associations, clubs, etc., do you belong?______________

6. How many miles per year do you drive each of your vehicles?____________

Would you like more information on how you, your company or your club can
become affiliated with COVA? ___YES ___NO      Thanks for your cooperation!