On The Road Again

To: b-c@tin.monsanto.com
Subject: On The Road Again
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 93 10:40:00 -0500
The GT6+ is running again. The whole thing was kind of a goofy thing, due to
my impatience.

For a while, the car had been dying randomly, but usually after a left turn.
Tuesday night at 5:30 it died on one of the busiest streets in the area. I had
to stop traffic while I pushed it to the shoulder. A couple of local policemen
shot the bull with me while I tinkered. I didn't really accomplish anything,
but the car started up and I drove home without incident.

Wednesday morning I drove into Washington, MO, and, after a sharp left turn,
it died again. This time it wouldn't start again, no matter what, and I wore
down the battery. It rained all day long, and while I tinkered, some water got
into the distributer.

Using my incanny diagnostic skills, I replaced the coil and condensor, and it
did no good at all. Finally, I replaced the fuel filter. When I disconnected
the end of the filter that goes to the carbs, I expected gas to burble out of
the filter, since the tank is higher than the line. Nope. I went ahead and
installed the new filter on the carb fuel line, then removed the old filter
from the line to the tank. Gas DID burble out of the line, so the filter was
restrictive enough to prevent that. I got it all back together and tried again.

This time, it fired pretty quickly. Looks like fuel starvation was a problem.
But it kept firing at the wrong time and it would run or stay running.

TeriAnn hit the nail right on the head when she mentioned looking for carbon
tracks or other signs that the spark was getting to the wrong wire at the
wrong time. The inside of my distributer was pretty wet from me replacing the
condensor in the rain (duh) so I was pretty sure the spark was probably
dancing all over the inside of the distributer. I used a hair dryer last night
and dried it all out, and it started right up. Ran great, and I drove it in
today.

Thanks to everybody who made suggestions. Almost every suggestion was
relevant, because I was suffering from a fuel problem first, then an ignition
problem.

Thanks again!

Larry