RE: Refinishing a spitfire wood dash?

To: dubs_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Refinishing a spitfire wood dash?
From: DANIELS@LMSBVX.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels, Texas A&M University)
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1993 11:17:46 -0500 (CDT)
>Anybody have any experience refinishing the wood dash on a Spitfire 1500?

Sure.

>Is that going to get my anywhere near an authentic finish?

I think the choices are:  1. Authentic   2. Nice.    Pick one.

For Nice, just strip off the old stuff with one of those softener/strippers,
maybe apply a little stain, and use (my favorite) a clear polyurethane
"varnish" to get a really smooth, tough, good-looking finish.  I darkened
mine a little with a good quality rub-in stain, and used a "satin" finish
polyurethane. Looked great, and I bought a new little "SCCA Champion" plate
to stick on where the original, worn-out one was.  But non-authentic.

Authentic: If I recall correctly, the dash is coated with real *shellac*,
which is the stuff made from tree sap or bug guts or something like that.
It makes for a really boss-looking thick coating, but it yellows with age
and cracks easily.  But if I were to do it again, I think I would go with
Authentic anyway, just for good measure.

Hasn't this been discussed a few times before?  Has someone catalogued and
archived this discussion?

Lee M. Daniels - Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding - Texas A&M
   daniels@lmsbvx.tamu.edu  |  DANIELS@TAMLMSB.BITNET  |  (409) 845-3726
      "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug."