Re: RE: Refinishing a spitfire wood dash?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RE: Refinishing a spitfire wood dash?
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 93 09:49:15 pdt
> From: DANIELS@LMSBVX.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels, Texas A&M University)
> Subject: RE: Refinishing a spitfire wood dash?
> To: dubs_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
>
> >Anybody have any experience refinishing the wood dash on a Spitfire 1500?
>

> I think the choices are:  1. Authentic   2. Nice.    Pick one.
>
> For Nice, just strip off the old stuff with one of those softener/strippers,
> maybe apply a little stain, and use (my favorite) a clear polyurethane
> "varnish" to get a really smooth, tough, good-looking finish.  I darkened

There are some marine application polyurethane coatings with UV blockers
you might want to look into.

> Authentic: If I recall correctly, the dash is coated with real *shellac*,
> which is the stuff made from tree sap or bug guts or something like that.

Shellac?  Really?  Well, I wouldn't use shellac for anything exposed to
the elements but I suppose that's a matter of personal preference if you
really want authentic.  If it's shellac it should be removable with
plain old shellac thinner, i.e.  alcohol.  I've removed shellac from old
furniture that way.

Roland