Re: TR4 - Sudden Oil Pressure Drop.

To: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk, british-cars@autox.team.net, british@apple.com,
Subject: Re: TR4 - Sudden Oil Pressure Drop.
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 93 13:12:24 -0700
In message <9310251729.26657.0@dsbc.icl.co.uk> Adrian Jefferies writes:
> Hi
>
> After belting down the road for about an hour at about 70mph, I happened
> to glance at the oil pressure guage and saw it drop away from its normally
> healthy +50psi to something less than 20. It didnt get to zero and
> as I did not have far to go I pressed on, fearing the worst.
>
> The following morning I found there was still plenty of oil in the
> sump, and the oil pressure was fine once again.  I drove about 90 miles
> that day and the symptoms did not reappear.

stuff removed

> So - any clues? Why did the oil pressure fall off so dramatically? Can the
> pump wear? Pressure relief valve? Gauze filter?? Help!
>
> The car is running really well too.
>
> Regards, Adrian
>       asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk

Adrian,
My first guess is that the pressure spring &/or ball in the oil pressure
relief valve is a bit tired. These are cheap to purchase & you do not
need to open the engine up to replace them.

My second guess is that the clearance in your oil pump may be a bit much. This
is a common cause for low oil pressure when hot.

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             Any thoughts expressed above are mine
twakeman@apple.com          Unless they are worth anything.  Then they
LINK: TWAKEMAN              become the property of my employer.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561