Re: Lotus Europa

To: kburtch@pts.mot.com
Subject: Re: Lotus Europa
From: pwv@tc.fluke.COM (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 93 12:06:53 PDT
Dave Van Horn <davevh@microsoft.com> wrote:

> | > How about a rotary?
>
> Yah.  The head of the Auto Engineering (?) school at Western Washington
> State University in Bellingham has one.

    "Michael R. Seal is founder and director of the Vehicle Research Institute
at Western Washington University, which "is very possibly the best school in
the country for total car design," according to Robert Cumberford, the
automotive design editor of Automobile magazine.  The VRI is a unit of the
Department of Engineering Technology."

The above is from Dr. Seal's "fact sheet."  Among other accomplishments and
awards, it says that the VRI has done advanced engine development,
encompassing:

        o  Piston and rotary, tuning for power and economy
        o  A stratified charge rotary engine
        o  Rotary peripheral port conversions

No doubt influenced by Mike's interest in his Lotus conversion??  ;^)  I also
notice that one of the vehicles produced by Mike & his students was the
Viking X, "A Two Seater Competition Autocrosser" that looks suspiciously like
a Morgan repli-car.

> If you're interested in doing something like that, I imagine he'd be able
> to provide considerably more detailed information than the usual shade-tree
> mechanic.

And how.  Dr. Seal can be reached at the VRI at (206) 676-3045.  (This is in
Bellingham, WA, about 90 miles north of Seattle.)

(I have the above information because I'm trying to get Dr. Seal to speak at
our annual Engineering Conference next May - and it looks like he may be able
to do it!!  It should be very interesting...)

   Pat Vilbrandt      Fluke Corporation      Everett, Washington USA
   pwv@tc.fluke.COM or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv