Re: History questions - sort of

To: woodruff@engin.umich.edu
Subject: Re: History questions - sort of
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 93 11:09:18 pdt
> To: british-cars@autox.team.net
> Subject: History questions - sort of
> Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1993 13:38:20 -0400
> From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
>

>       Does anybody know when plastic body filler was invented?
> I often hear people say that some British cars had filler from
> the factory.  I bring this up, because I had my 67 Austin Healey
> front shroud stripped (plastic media blasting) and it had a serious
> amount of filler on it.  Some of it was very close to the windshield,
> where it did not appear that the shroud had ever been damaged.  The
> guy doing the media blasting said it probably came from the factory
> with some dough on it.  I sort of doubt it but...

WELL before 1967.  Lots of filler was particularly common on aluminum
body panels.  My '64 snake had tons put on at the factory.  The AC Ace,
which first appeared in the mid '50s, also had an aluminum body with
lots of plastic fillers and I suspect these fillers predated the Ace
by quite a bit.  Plastic fillers and putties were used for body repairs
and customizing regularly in the '60s.

Roland