RE: Hazard switch failure

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Hazard switch failure
From: "John W. Hazelton" <hazelton@mizar.usc.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 93 1:16:57 PDT
What an amazing coincidence.  As I was driving home a couple of nights
ago, I thought about this very topic, and the cause and cure for it.
I realized I'd never seen it mentioned on the group, so I was about
to post the following anyway.  That the subject came up by itself
is a bit too eerie for me to contemplate...

A few years ago, while driving my Spitfire, I found that my turn
signals had mysteriously stopped working.  After some investigation,
I discovered that, as in many BritCars, the turn signal is routed
through the hazard light switch.  The wires were all firmly attached
and intact throughout the circuit.  Bypassing the hazard switch allowed
the turn signals to work again.

Being an old hand at basic electronics repair, I realized that I
hardly use my hazard lights (good ol' lbc!), and that the hazard
lights contacts had probably just oxidized and blocked the current
flow.  I got some good contact cleaner, sprayed it into the switch,
switched it on and off a few times, and, Voila!, everything worked
again--the turn signals and the hazard lights.  Now I check
my hazard lights as part of my regular weekly maintenance.  The
frequent working keeps the contacts from oxidizing, and the blinkers
all work happily.

To summarize:
If your hazard lights and/or your turn signals don't work, try
cleaning the hazard lights switch with a non-residue contact
cleaner (available even at Radio Shack--make sure you get
the NON-RESIDUE cleaner, not the stuff with a lubricant,
usually mineral oil, in it).  It may do wonders.

--John Hazelton
  Los Angeles, CA, USA