Re: TR hates inclines...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR hates inclines...
From: a.wooten@genie.geis.com
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 93 23:17:00 BST
Hi, Jim!

  > compression Net result: #1 @ 145, #2 @ 150, #3 @ 147, #4 @ 145.
  > But what is it supposed to be?
 According to my (Ken Ball) Autopress Ltd Triumph Workshop Manual (couldn't
find it in my Drake Workshop Manual...), compression test pressure is 120
lb/sq in.  Yes, it seems to be healthy...

  > It however still makes blue smoke when you rev it.  I plan on pulling
  > the head tonight for what I assume is only a need for a valve job
 Again, Ball says it could be worn rings, stems, or guides; excessive
cylinder wear; ring gaps too wide; oil return holes in piston choked by
carbon; oil level too high; or an external leak.  Maybe the valve job will
correct it...

  > For some reason, when the car is parked pointed uphill (maybe downhill
  > too, but only tried that once) the carbs may start to pour gas out of
  > the front.
 My SU's did the same thing the last time I rebuilt them.  I have an electric
fuel pump, and had fuel running out the front of both carbs!  With the
pistons out of the carbs, just turning on the pump resulted in twin geysers
arcing back across the engine...  It turned out, as I recall, that the
floats weren't adjusted right.  It could also be that the float needles are
jammed by some sort of crud, or the gasket has dried out!

Have fun!

        -Tony in WI
        '60 TR3A