Re: British Cars Digest #984 Fri Oct 29 01:15:01 MDT 1993

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #984 Fri Oct 29 01:15:01 MDT 1993
From: xgg2356@dcmdc.dla.mil (James Fuerstenberg)
Date: Fri Oct 29 08:21:26 1993
RE: Peter Schauss' question on headers

I basically second what Scott had to say with a few additions.

You do not want the 3 into 1 headers for the street, they are for
race motors only.  On my mini cooper race motor, I get by with big
bore LCB type headers and I use about 8000rpm for a redline.
Janspeed and Maniflow are the two major mfrs from which I would buy
a factory header.  Another alternative...a little more $$, but worth
it in my humble opinion is have headers made.  The mass production
headers have a couple of problems...(1) they are not equal length
except by accident and (2) the bends coming out of the head are a
bit abrupt.  I had a set of headers made for the mini eliminating
those two problems and they work great with one caveat. The gentle
radiusing of the headers at the top eliminates the possiblility of
using SU carbs on a standard manifold. Since I use a 45DCOE now, on
a 5" manifold, this is not a problem.  I also recommend Jet Hot or
HPC coating the headers for longevity.

RE: TeriAnn's TR motor.  Sounds like you are doing the right thing
having Greg? prep the motor...with all the mods you are doing, you
need to ensure reliability.  I had my crankshaft nitrided and it
works fine at reasonably high revs.  BTW, on A series blocks, one
straps the center main or puts in a 4 bolt center main cap to help
ensure reliablility.  My center main is strapped with 1" steel bar
stock.  Is this a possibility on your motor?

BTW, one of the vintage race morgans with which I am familiar, with
a 2.2 TR motor...has a similar but more radical motor...carillo rods,
venolia pistons, steel crank, 14 to 1 compression and twin
webers....178HP on the dyno, plus similar torque figures.

Jim

jfuerstenberg@dcmdc.dla.mil or jfuerstenberg@zz-link.dcmdc.dla.mil

"It has been said that motor racing shares in common with sex the distinction
of being of the most popular, most maligned and least understood of human
activities.

Charles Beaumont and William F. Nolan from "Omnibus of Speed"