TR6 Starting and warning lights problems

To: british-cars@autox.team.NET
Subject: TR6 Starting and warning lights problems
From: Michael_Swatek.El_Segundo@xerox.com
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 1994 13:23:43 PST
Greetings,

I'm closing in on an odometer flip on my TR6 (soon I'll have a '72 with less
than 100 miles on it!) -- in the meantime there are two problems I`m wondering
about:

Starting problem.  This has happened twice:  Start the car (strong start),
drive somewhere, no problems apparent, but the car doesn't want to restart when
it's time to go home.  In fact, there is no power for anything, except for the
little light backlighting the radio LCD display -- and that goes out if I turn
anything else on.

The first time, I go into the engine compartment, check connections etc. --
everything looks good and tight.  Scratch my head, try some switches again, and
stuff starts coming on, so I try starting it, and it starts as if nothing has
ever been wrong.

Second time, it doesn't come back so easily.  A friendly jump start finally
gets the car started, and the ampmeter says we're doing some serious charging
all the way home.  It's started several times after that, and is always
charging while running.  I'd say, yeah, battery, except for the first incident,
where it all came back without any intervention.   Ground strap and 12v cable
are both tight at both ends ... Any ideas?  (the Alternator was recently
replaced).

Different problem:  After driving for a while (15 miles or so), my brake and
oil warning lights start coming on at low revs -- the brake light being bright,
the oil light barely noticable.  In fact, it was a while before I even noticed
it -- I thought my brakes were failing somehow, then I drove it at night and
saw that the oil was lighting up too.  As I push the rpms back up, the lights
fade to off.  The more I drive, the higher I have to keep up the revs to
maintain a no-light condition.

So it sounds like an oil pressure problem, right?   I've got enough oil in the
car, and I've scraped the contacts of the oil pressure sensor, no temperature
problems, the oil pressure gauge behaves as normal, and the car itself runs
great.  Could the sensor itself have gone bad?  This started happening
immediately after some substantial work was done on the car:  replaced
alternator, front end overhaul, welded diff mounts, replaced wheel bearings.

Thanks much,

Mick