Re: Beam me up, Scotty...

To: cobra@cdc.hp.com
Subject: Re: Beam me up, Scotty...
From: sfisher@Megatest.COM (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 94 14:26:39 PST
> > The first time I heard bimmer/beemer whatever was here in the states.
>
> The term bimmer seems to have started about the time BMWs became yuppie
> cars.  I don't recall hearing it in the '60s.  As to it being an
> American thing, could be, but I've always assumed its origin was from
> the way BMW is pronounced in German.

Nein, Herr Dudley, I assure you that then they would be, wie sagt mann
in Amerikanischer Schreibung, "Baymers."  In German, they're called
Bay Emm Vays.

The Germans have the money, the technical knowledge, and the precision
to make potentially *great* LBCs.  We'll have to see if they have the
aficion, too.  Maybe I *will* offer to consult with them... hell, I'd
do it for free if I thought they'd actually pay attention to the rabid
wailings of someone who's puffed on too many Castrol fumes.

Heh.  If the LBCs become German, this mean that the sport version is
going to be an LBCsi? :-)

--Scott