electrical thingies.....a bit lengthy

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: electrical thingies.....a bit lengthy
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 94 08:59:18 CST
Hi all, this is an electrical problem list for my 74 Midget.....
Some of this could be easily solved by me taking a look, but its too damn
cold outside (no garage) so I'd prefer to tap the net wisdom.

1) For breaking in the new engine I figured not going above 35mph, and
not loading the engine for ~500 miles would enough to break it in....does
this sound about right...any other tips on breaking in? I also
noticed during the first 2 miles on the road, that the car tended to want to
slow down...I pressed the gas, but it didn't want to rev high. Figured
that it was 'new' stifffness in the parts and maybe I pushed her a little
hard (the oil pressure and temp. stayed normal). I rested on the side of the
road for 30 seconds, and haven't had that problem again. It was running
a little rough for the first 5 miles....but now shes as smooth as a pussycat
(even with the 'bad' carbs).

2) My brake lights stick on...I have to do a nifty maneuver with my
feet to pull the brake pedal up to switch them off...gets a little
difficult when one is on a hill concentrating on clutch control
(well, shallow incline to anybody outside of IL!).
Anyway...would a new return spring help, with penty-o WD40 on the
pivot mech. to free it up a bit?

3) Right hand rear brake light not working. Is the brake light the rear light
as well...i.e., when I have the lights on, and I push the brakes, is it
the same bulb, but made brighter, or are there seperate bublbs for lights/brake
lights?  If its a seperate bulb I'll start with repacing that and seeing
what happens.

4) The rear lights work, but the left rear orange bit (the indicator)
lights up when the lights are on (??!!). Note, the indicators do NOT
work at this time.

5) Talking of indicators (turn signals), I can switch the arm up and down,
and the little green lights on the dash light up, but they don't flick
on and off...like I said, the turn signals on the outside don't
work. Is there a little capacitor somewhere (or something like that)
which controls the on/off/on action of the turn signals?? Note: that hazrd
switch when on lights up, but the outside lights don't come on. 2nd Note:
the high beam on the indicator arm works just fine, suggesting to me that
the switch assembly is ok (I previously thought it wasn't).

6) What is a good oil pressure (reassure me!) I get 60-65 within 3 seconds
of starting up (it starts on the first crank even in this weather!). I can't
find anything in haynes about oil pressure. It usually settles at 60 - 62
and doesn't fluctuate. I recall seeing numbers in the 70's every now
and again on this newsgroup when taliking about oil pressure.

Phewe

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

Marcus