Re: electrical thingies.....a bit lengthy

To: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil
Subject: Re: electrical thingies.....a bit lengthy
From: pwv@tc.fluke.COM (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 94 13:13:27 PST
Marcus Tooze (tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil) wrote:
> 3) Right hand rear brake light not working.  [...]
>
> 4) The rear lights work, but the left rear orange bit (the indicator)
> lights up when the lights are on (??!!).  [...]
>
> 5) Talking of indicators (turn signals), I can switch the arm up and down,
> and the little green lights on the dash light up, but they don't flick
> on and off...  [...]

It sounds like you may likely have a collection of causes for all of these
electrical gremlins, but the first thing you should check is for good, solid
grounds in your entire lighting system.  #4 is a very good indication that
there is no ground connection at your left rear tail light.  This could also
cause #5, or aggravate the problem.  Take the tail lights totally apart and
make sure all of the connections are clean and rust free, and also that the
places where the housings mount to the body are clean and rust free.

Also, of course, make sure the battery connections are clean and tight, the
ground wire connection from the battery to the engine/body is clean and tight,
and any ground straps from the engine to the frame/body are installed correctly
and the connections are clean and tight.

Once you've done all of this, THEN start checking for bad bulbs and other
wiring problems.

   Pat Vilbrandt      Fluke Corporation      Everett, Washington USA
   pwv@tc.fluke.COM or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv